Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What it means to sacrifice

Today I have been unemployed for six months. Wait, scratch that, I have been a SAHM for six months. And that is NOT the same as being unemployed. I have struggled with my decision and at times felt like I made the wrong one. There are so many things I want to do with my family, and now that I have the time to do them I find that I don’t have the funds to do it all. I’m constantly hearing that s word thrown around like it’s dirty. As if not having absolutely everything you want the second you think of it is a bad thing.

I’m fairly certain that I don’t really know what “sacrifice” this means. Even when I was younger and my mom said no, it never felt like a sacrifice. She never complained about all the hard work she had to put in to take care of me & my sisters, so perhaps that's where my attitude of the word came from. You do what you have to do, because nothing will ever be handed to you.

Sometimes it seems like the people I know get so caught up in keeping up with the Jones & everyone else that doesn’t really matter, that they forget what’s really important. When I wake up in the morning I’m gifted with the opportunity to make a difference in my son and daughters life. No I don’t have the luxury to buy whatever I want whenever I want anymore. But I honestly don’t miss it.

The true sacrifice is having all the material things you could think of, and no time to enjoy the people who love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How we came to be...

Followers