Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Learning to choose my battles

Jibrael is in kindergarten and we've had our share of "No, because I said so" moments, but this week I have caved on my principles. Why? Because I want my son to be happy, and because my husband doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. The question, should we send valentines to school on Friday. My point, there is no educational value in a valentine party. Additionally, our township is a participant in a healthy lifestyle pledge, and as such the children aren't even allowed to bring cupcakes for their birthdays. Despite those facts the children are allowed to bring in and exchange candied valentines.

Yes I do think that parties in kindergarten are cute and help establish social skills. But a valentines party gives the wrong message. Why so passionate? Because, my 5 yo told me that he wanted to give a valentine to Kylie and Juliette. Yes, I know you're all thinking well isn't that cute. NO, it's not I don't want my son exposed to girl friends, kissing, and yes even sex as a 5 yo. Think I'm reaching? I'm not, I volunteer in my sons school, which only goes up to the 5th grade and the things that these children are talking about are anything but innocent. And yes, my son goes to a five star school, majority of the kids are really good. But there's also the desensitization to adult relationships portrayed in ALL kids shows. So am I becoming that psycho mom who should really home school? I don't want to make him anti-social, I just want to teach him love and relationships when hes older... like 30!!!

Sadly, I agreed to allowing Jibrael to take valentines to school. In hopes that he will continue to be a good kid, while having a few moments of being like everyone else. Muhammad didn't see harm in them, and I suppose that if we play down the flying cupids and silly hearts, making it a cheap candy and friendship day it won't be so bad. Learning to pick my battles as a mom is a lesson I am constantly learning. Somethings are never going to change. I won't budge on eating Halal, or bare mid-drifts, or homework before sports. The art is in not feeling like a sell out for the sake of my childrens happiness.

1 comment:

  1. I came over from IndyMoms!

    I think it's more on us about how we present those kinds of things. My daughter's school had parties and such but there was no focus on romance. The focus was on celebrating friendships. It doesn't have to be a lovey dovey holiday if you don't want it to be!

    ReplyDelete

How we came to be...

Followers