Friday, February 26, 2010

She's JUST a baby!

I have never felt so strongly about adults not expecting more from children then today. Aqeelah has been making strides this week with her potty training. We have a chat every morning about her being a big girl for the day and making sure she listens to her body. She had two full days of no accidents. That's a great achievement for both of us. No it's not where we want to be but it's better than where we were.

I'm finding myself more willing to talk to her about her accidents instead of getting upset. Today she had an accident at the optometrist. I was really embarrassed and almost didn't, but decided to tell the staff that she had an accident in the chair. The chick behind the counter got snappy with me! I wanted to go off on her, to tell her that my baby feels badly enough already. Instead I finished up and walked out. Poor Aqeelah, she really looked upset. Needless to say, that will not be our doctor!

And this has reminded me that for all my struggles, my kids are just that, kids. I know there are things that they should be doing in all of their stages, and to expect more just isn't fair or realistic. So while I may want Jibrael to listen to directions the first time, or have Aqeelah go to sleep the first time I say, I think I am learning that they need time to be kids. And as kids they need to have accidents, to JUST be a 2yo and a 5yo. This time has passed too quickly already, why rush the process?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How we came to be...

Followers